Onyx Wedding Checklist
Before you start planning your dream wedding there are a couple of questions you need to answer first:
- What type of wedding do you want?
- Traditional, rustic, modern, destination or festival, to name just a few
- Do you want to get married in a religious ceremony, a civil ceremony, or a celebrant led ceremony?
- Do you want your ceremony to be inside or outside?
- How much do you want to spend on your day? - Please make sure you set yourself a budget and try to stick to it!
- Set up a simple spreadsheet to keep track of your budget. List all the main categories – ceremony, reception, stationery, flowers, venue décor, entertainment, accommodation, cake, rings, attire, accessories, hair and makeup, photographer, videographer
- Who do you want to invite?
- Are you going for a small, intimate wedding with close family and friends or do you want to celebrate with the whole world!? Slight exaggeration, but you know what I mean!
- Are you going to plan it all yourselves or are you going to hire Onyx Weddings & Events to help you?
- Have you got a date in mind?
- Do you want a summer wedding or even a winter wedding?
- At a weekend or mid-week?
- Are you fixed to one date or do you have a couple of options?
- Do you want one venue for both the ceremony and the reception or two separate venues?
Now you have answered these questions, let's get planning!
IDEALLY, 12 MONTHS BEFORE
- Research, choose and book your desired venue
- Research, choose and book your church, civil ceremony venue or celebrant
- Choose and book your photographer and/or videographer – think about the style of photography you want – staged, journalistic
- Book Tipi or Marquee (if required)
- Arrange your wedding insurance
- Research, choose and book your caterers
- Start thinking about your dress – style, colour, designer etc.
- Choose and ask your bridesmaids and groomsmen
- Book wedding night accommodation
- Book your honeymoon
- Choose and book your cake designer
- Choose and book your florist
- Send your ‘Save the dates’
- Book your transport to and from your wedding
- Research, choose and book your entertainment for the day and evening – DJ, band, singer, children's entertainment
IDEALLY, UP TO 6 MONTHS BEFORE
- Go shopping for your wedding dress - please don't have too many people with you!
- Order your bridesmaids’ outfits and accessories
- Finalise your guest list
- Order your invitations
- Choose and order the groom’s & groomsmen’s outfits
- Choose and book your hair and makeup
IDEALLY, UP TO 3 MONTHS BEFORE
- Send out your invitations
- Choose and order your wedding rings
- Arrange your first dress fitting
- Buy your accessories – shoes, hair pieces/veils, jewellery, underwear
- Arrange a menu tasting with your caterer and finalise your menu
- Book your hair and makeup trials
- Finalising the décor for your venue(s)
- Finalise all the flowers – bridal bouquet, buttonholes, bridesmaids’ bouquets, venue décor
- Choose and order favours
- Decide on music and readings for your ceremony
- Ensure all balances are paid or confirm dates of payments
- Purchase ‘thank you’ gifts
- Hire Onyx Weddings & Events to assist with our On-the-day management service
- Create your 'order of service'
IDEALLY, 1 MONTH BEFORE
- Arrange final dress fitting – ensure you take your underwear and shoes with you
- Finalise details with all your suppliers
- Review your guest list and RSVPs - chase up any missing ones, don't just assume they are not coming
- Create your table plan (first draft!)
- Speak to your entertainment with regards to any special requests
- Go through a shot list with your photographer - make sure you get the photos you want!
- Start wearing your wedding shoes around the house - this will avoid sore feet on the day
- Send copies of readings to all the readers
- Hold your hen and stag parties
IDEALLY, 2 WEEKS BEFORE
- Provide final numbers to all necessary suppliers
- Contact all your suppliers to re-confirm details
- Finalise seating plan and send it to your venue
IDEALLY, 1 WEEK BEFORE
- Create bad weather back up plan
- Produce a timetable for the day – include contact details and share with suppliers
- Have final beauty treatments – manicure, pedicure etc.
- Hold a wedding rehearsal
- Pack for the night before and the night of your big day
- Collect your dress, suits and any last-minute items
- Write a list of things that you need to take to the venue the day before the wedding
- Take time out to relax together!
- Drop off anything at the venue - seating plan, place cards, menus etc.
- Reconfirm details with all your suppliers
- Make sure you have an early night
ON THE DAY
- Give the rings to the best man or the ring bearer
- Take your ‘thank you’ gifts to the breakfast venue
- Enjoy your day, cherish every minute and make some wonderful memories
- Arrange to return all the rentals
- Return any suits to the hire companies
- Make a note of your gifts and who you got them off – you can then personalise your thank you notes
Good luck with planning your big day, I hope this checklist was useful.
If you would like a printable copy for you to tick off your tasks, please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you need any help planning your wedding or just assisting on the day, please get in touch with us to see how we can help make your day special.
Published on: 05 February 2019